Check out some of the features that will be included in the brand new addition to the Apollo.
- 25,000-square foot facility designed by Kostow Greenwood Architects
- 199-seat black box theater
- 99-seat black box theater
- Administrative offices
- Artist-In-Residence: With support from the Ford Foundation, the Apollo Theater has announced Ta-Nehisi Coates as the inaugural artist-in-residence. This three-year initiative, which will include events on the Apollo’s iconic stage and in the new Apollo spaces in the Victoria Theater in Fall 2023, will further deepen the relationship between Coates and the nonprofit theater. The Artist-in-Residence program reinforces the Apollo Theater’s commitment to celebrating African-American arts and culture, supporting emerging and established artists of color, and serving as an artistic, educational and community resource.
- Salon Series: The Apollo Theater’s Salon Series supports new work development by emerging and mid-career artists by providing valuable resources such as workshop and rehearsal space and access to leading industry professionals.
- Apollo Education: The Apollo Theater Academy develops the next generation of leaders in the performing arts, entertainment and media. Additional spaces at the Victoria Theater will allow for growing school time activities and interactive opportunities for the creation of new work and hands-on experience in the areas of production, design, and producing.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the theaters at the Victoria?
- Where are they located?
- What is the Apollo’s role in the project?
- How did the Apollo come to be involved in this project?
- What are the cultural spaces within the redevelopment?
- What will be the spaces be used for?
- What programs does the Apollo plan to offer at the Victoria Theater?
- Will the Apollo hire additional staff dedicated to the Victoria, or will the same staff and leadership manage both?
- When will the project be completed? When will the first programs be presented?
- What are the criteria to rent the cultural spaces? How is that defined?
- What are the criteria to rent the historic Apollo Theater?
- Who are the other cultural partners?
- How will this project affect 125th Street and what does it mean for the continued gentrification of Harlem? Will this adversely affect small businesses?
- Did the Apollo have a role in planning the new layout / design of the theaters at the Victoria?
- What happened to the original Victoria Theater?
- How much of the existing interior will be retained?
- Will the Apollo raise funds for the operation of the theaters at the Victoria?
- Where is the money coming from to restore the theaters?
- Where can I learn more about the theaters at The Victoria?
Close video modal