Apollo’s Historic Renovation and Restoration
As the first physical expansion in Apollo’s history, the top to bottom renovation and restoration of the historic building, which opened its doors in 1914, is an exciting part of the growth of The Apollo into a performing arts center.
The renovation of the Historic Theater will improve public areas and audience comfort, enhance artists’ accommodations, and preserve and update the iconic exterior of the building. Every aspect of the Historic Theater will be updated to allow for more versatility. The restoration, being led by Beyer Blinder Belle Architects + Planners, with theater, acoustics and digital consultants Charcoalblue and Flyleaf Creative, also includes:
- An expanded lobby with a newly designed café and bar that will be open to the public throughout the day
- The restoration of a built-in orchestra pit
- Added and upgraded seating in the theater
(Rendering of the future Historic Theater lobby photo. Credit: Charcoalblue and Flyleaf Creative)
Apollo's Victoria Theater
The Victoria Theater, located just down the street from The Apollo, will allow The Apollo to expand its scope of artistic, educational, and community programs. The project is being led by Kostow Greenwood Architects and is located on the third and fourth floors of the Victoria Theater Redevelopment Project. It includes:
- A 99-seat and a 199-seat black box theaters, providing space to incubate, collaborate, and workshop new performances
- Subsidy programs for small and mid-sized, NYC-based cultural organizations to utilize and benefit from professional-level technical equipment and theater rehearsal and performance spaces
- Administrative offices for The Apollo
Apollo Leadership Transition
After a 20-year tenure leading The Apollo and transforming it into an internationally recognized cultural organization, President & CEO Jonelle Procope will step down in June 2023. Procope noted, “The Apollo is a powerful catalyst for progress and innovation, and as we near the completion of the capital campaign and begin restoration of the Historic Theater, it is the right time to welcome the next president who will lead The Apollo into the future.”
The Apollo’s Board of Directors are conducting a national search for the next President.
Read the full press release here.
Read the news in the NY Times article here.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What will be renovated in the Historic Theater?
- Will the theater need to close for renovations?
- Why is Jonelle Procope leaving?
- Will the search committee be prioritizing diversity in looking for a new candidate?