- This event has passed.
Professional Learning: The Harlem Renaissance in the 21st Century
June 6 @ 8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Apollo Theater Education Program Presents
Bold Visions, Bold Voices: The Harlem Renaissance in the 21st Century
Thursday, June 6 | 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM
The Harlem Renaissance was a moment of reimagining futures for the 20th century. Its works and artists revealed new visions and voices that set the stage for artists of the 21st century. The Apollo Education Program’s professional learning workshop will explore the narratives and themes of the Harlem Renaissance and connect them to the voices of our students today. Educators will be provided with the tools to connect tradition and innovation with legacies of self-determination and resistance.
Join the Apollo Education Program for this full-day workshop alongside seasoned educators to engage in hands-on performative activities, such as theater and musical experiences that will immerse you in the intersection between history and the arts.
Goals of the workshop:
- A renewed understanding of the core ideas and philosophies that framed the Harlem Renaissance;
- Teachable histories of people and places that embody those core ideas;
- Tools for identifying and extracting the counter-narratives that run through African-American history and culture connecting the past to the present;
- Strategies for student engagement and classroom arts integration; and
- An understanding of how The Apollo Theater was and is a central part of Harlem’s (and America’s) cultural legacy.
$50 per person
**Participants will receive 5 CTLE hours | The Apollo Theater Education Program is now a state-approved provider for Continuing Teacher and Leader Education credits.